Getting Help for Sexual Abuse – Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I go for help?

Phagans’ does not offer professional or pastoral counseling, but we do have information about great resources for victims and survivors of sexual abuse.  Some sources of help are listed below.

Assistance for Survivors in the State of Oregon
This link is for a State of Oregon Web Page which provides links and contact information for each county in Oregon.

Love is Respect Website
This link is for a great resource that provides support whenever you need it. Resources, relationship information, how to get help for yourself or others, and much more. Their highly trained and knowledgeable staff is easy to reach and always right there if you need help or just want to talk.

  • Chat 24/7/365   (click the orange chat link in the upper right of the web page to open a chat window)
  • Call: 1.866.331.9474
  • Text: loveis to 22522


What will happen if I report an incident to the college?

By reporting an incident to the college, we can connect you to a number of support options available in our communities. You are NOT required to provide additional information about the incident or participate in a college investigation in order to get help. Our primary goal is to help, and we will always respect your decision to share, or not share, any aspect of your situation with us.

If the person who harmed you is not affiliated with a Phagans’ Cosmetology College, our response to the report of an incident will be focused primarily on providing services and accommodations to you and addressing any potential safety issues on campus.


Is there a way to keep the person who did this away from me?

Yes! You have several options for keeping this person from contacting you. If this person is another student, we will take steps to ensure you are not in school together.

Even without a formal report to a police officer, you may be eligible for legal court orders, including restraining orders and stalking orders that can provide a higher level of protection. Obtaining these orders from the court is free, and We can assist you in finding out how to start that process.

If you decide to press charges, the person who hurt you may be arrested, prosecuted, and sentenced for their crime depending on the circumstances.


If I tell the college staff what has happened to me, will my friends, family, other students, etc. find out?

No. Only a few specially trained individuals will ever know that you reported to the college and their primary goal will be to help provide support and services to you. Students are protected by FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act), which means that we cannot disclose information about your report to your family or friends without your written consent.


What if I attend school with the person who hurt me?

You have the right to feel safe in attending your classes, and we are here to help. If you attend school with the person who hurt you, we may be able to remove that person. If you prefer, we may be able to provide assistance in changing your schedule as well. These accommodations are provided with the highest level of confidentially possible.


Can I receive help without having to tell who hurt me?

Yes. A student is NOT required to provide additional information about the incident or participate in a college investigation in order to receive assistance. Our primary goal is to help you, and we will respect your decision to share, or not share, any aspect of the situation with us.


If I report to the college, will I be forced to press criminal charges or give information against the accused person?

You have the right to choose if you want to press criminal charges. If you choose not to provide more information for an investigation, it is unlikely that the investigation will continue. However, there are circumstances where the college has an obligation to proceed in order to protect the safety of the campus. Your safety is our highest priority.


Can I report anonymously?

You can ask that we keep your name off of internal reports.  Based solely on an anonymous report, however, neither Phagans’ nor the Police Department may be able to pursue action against the person who hurt you if the report does not contain any identifiable information. The report can help provide very vital information that can be used to identify perpetrators and patterns of their behavior(s). If you choose to pursue action against this person you have the option to report the incident to the college or law enforcement at a later date.

We want to ensure that you are safe in your situation. We encourage you to seek safety planning from a confidential resource.

It is important for you to know that we are mandated to report the numbers of incidents about sexual harassment, including sexual assault, dating or domestic violence, gender-based harassment and bullying, and stalking.


What will happen if I report to law enforcement?

If you want to report to law enforcement, an officer will take a report. Based on your wishes, they may start an investigation which could include talking with any witnesses. The police officers can also help plan for your safety and filing a report can help document the situation that can later be used if you decide to press charges.


If I tell law enforcement what happened, what will happen to the person who hurt me?

Reporting to law enforcement may initiate an investigation, arrest, and prosecution of the perpetrator. However, in many cases there is not enough evidence for the case to move forward. This does not mean that the incident did not occur or that is was not wrong or illegal. The nature of these crimes can sometimes make it difficult to hold people accountable through the criminal justice system. In general, law enforcement and the district attorney will not pursue charges without the survivor’s cooperation.


If I seek help from support agencies now, can I report to Phagans’ or law enforcement later?

Yes. You always have the right to report at a later date. Keep in mind that if you choose to pursue action against this person, some of the physical evidence may be gone if too much time has elapsed.