The Beauty Industry provides many career opportunities that are both flexible and rewarding. There is no limit to your potential if you are driven and ambitious. A career in the beauty industry allows you the opportunity to change people’s lives by making them look and feel beautiful.
With a Phagans’ education, you could begin a career as a hair designer, hair colorist, nail technician, esthetician, barber, makeup artist or even a salon/spa manager/owner.
Earning and Compensation Opportunities
Salaries of cosmetologists depend on a number of factors such as, experience, ability, clientele, location and salary or lease arrangements between the professional and the salon owner. It can take time, dedication and hard work before for a newly licensed cosmetology professional establishes a regular clientele. Research wage and employment outlook data by clicking the links below.
- Oregon wage and projections data can be found by going to www.qualityinfo.org, then type in a job title in “Occupational Profiles.”
- Research careers and the need for various occupations in the Occupational Outlook Handbook at www.bls.gov/oco
- For career exploration and job analysis visit www.onetonline.org
Graduates who become licensed in Hair Design, Esthetics, Nail Technology, and/or Barbering have some of the following career opportunities available:
Sample Standard Occupation Codes
- Hair Designer: 39-5012.00, 39-5093.00, 39-1021.01. Specialist in hair sculpture, texture, color, condition and other elements of Hair Design.
- Barber: 39.5011.00, 39-5093.00, 39-1021.01. Specialist in hair sculpture and beard/mustache trims.
- Nail Technician: 39-5092.00, 39-1021.01. Manicurist, pedicurist, nail artist, podiatrist assistant.
- Esthetician: 39-5094.00, 39-5091.00, 39-1021.01. Skin care therapist, make-up artist, dermatologist assistant, spa esthetician.
- Cadet Teacher: 25-1194.00. Teach at a cosmetology college, teach cosmetology in community college, and/or build-up credentials for platform artist work.
Additional Standard Occupational Codes (SOC Codes) can be found at: www.onetonline.org
Career Placement Assistance
Phagans’ does not make any guarantees of employment or salary upon graduation. However, we do solicit feedback from our graduates and employers of our graduates in regards to the material in our practical, theoretical and business curriculum. The college will provide placement assistance, which will consist of identifying employment opportunities. There is a Bulletin Board available at each college where Job/Employment opportunities are posted. We have a thorough Career Development program which includes classes in completing a job application, professional appearance guidelines, preparing for a job interview, and instructions on how to write a resume and cover letter. The program also includes training in clientele building, customer service, money management, marketing, business planning and many other valuable business tools.